How to be a great Guardian!
- Got a few hours to spare a month?
- Got good networks – they can be professional or social – it is more about who you know rather than what you know!
- Want to support people from excluded communities to achieve their dreams?
- This could be for you…
- We get customers referred from various organisations eg the City of Sanctuary or NHS organisations
- The Director matches referrals up with a Guardian and links them up
- You make a phone call to arrange a meeting in a public place – coffee shops are good!
- You agree with your customer what their aims are and start agreeing a plan for what you can do to help and what they need to do.
- Look at their cv and help them improve it if necessary
- Help them understand ‘how we do things here’ and how systems work, like the NHS or Education or Local Government
- Think of people you could introduce them to – they might be in leadership positions who can make things happen; they might be happy to arrange some shadowing in their organisation so customers can see at first hand how things work; they might offer some work experience or consider them for roles in their organisation
- Think laterally…
- Our customers have often been let down or even treated with disrepect by those in authority
- They may lack confidence and self esteem
- They might test you to see if you are serious about helping them!
- Say what you are going to do and do it
- Keep in touch with them regularly If only to say how are you doing?
- Be persistent and consistent!
- The relationship does not have to be a long term one – sometimes they just want a launchpad and off they go! Others come and go and some stay for a long time.
- There may be a bit of mentoring or coaching but we are not there to sort out their everyday problems like benefit or housing – their referral agency will do that. We are there to support them to achieve their ambitions
- We need to treat all their information confidentially and respect their privacy
- If we find out something bad is happening to them or they are involved in something criminal for example we need to report it!
- Most are refugees but not all
- Some are professionally qualified here or in their country of origin
- Some just want to get a job or start some training
- They all have ambition!
- You will be allocated a Guardian Angel who can advise you
- The website can be found on www.growingpoints.co.uk
- On the site there is a Guardian Zone where information is available on other Guardians whom you might want to contact
(it is password protected and you will be given details)
- There are policies on the GZ about confidentiality and disclosure to others
- There is general information about resources on the site
- There are some handy top tips
What you might do for them…
What you need to remember….
What sort of customers do we have?
If you are stuck tell us!
If you have any questions about this please contact Jane Rennie, Director of Growing Points on 07809151595 email@example.com
If you wish to become a Guardian, please contact Jane at the email address/mobile number above